Thursday, May 5, 2011

Stupid little kids (or Why our plan to get fit is an uphill battle)

So yesterday, I went on another mission to walk to a grocery store instead of depending on the train. I found one that was a little over one mile away, it was over 90 degrees out, but I was going to do it and carry all my groceries back.

I mapped out the route and started walking.

I've failed to mention previously that there is a problem in Singapore with giving different streets the same name. It's not even like Main Street and Main Ave, it's literally "Clemenceau Ave N" occurs twice. This happens frequently. And when you're walking, it can be hard to tell the difference.

I don't have an operational iPhone at the moment (bc At&t are a bunch of jerks who won't let you use your own device in another place). I don't know how to navigate. I can't find my way out of a barrel without gps.

I realized after I while that I wasn't going the right way. I was caught up in some construction and just kept following arrows. I found myself outside the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints and the Alliance Francaise de Singapour, and thought to myself- "one of these groups must be kind enough to have unsecured wi-fi". It was the French. I will not be making any jokes about French people, they saved my hiney.

I google mapped myself and finally got to my destination. I had walked about 2.5 miles by the time I got there.

But I was not giving up, mind you. I had an objective, and I was sticking to it. It will always be this hot, and I can't be so dependent on the train.

So I walked back home. I was very proud of myself for sticking to a goal, and getting some extra exercise while i was at it. Thankfully this time went smoothly, and I sweatily arrived at our apartment in desperate need of some cooling off. I put on my swimsuit and walked downstairs to the pool.

I swam a few laps, then picked up my magazine to sit by the jets.

And then my lovely peaceful relaxation time was shattered by a blond pigtailed six year old.

"Are you reading, or are you swimming?"
"well, I was swimming, but now I'm reading."
"what's your name? I'm Sasha"

Turns out Sasha is from Australia, hates her little brother, and her mom lets her hang out at the pool by herself. I don't blame Sasha's mother. Kid won't shut up.

"where are you from, Nikki?"
"I'm from America."

"is everyone there fat like you?"


...cricket...


"actually, yeah, kind of."

"did you eat a lot to get so fat? your legs are very big."


I diffused the conversation as gracefully as possible, and went back upstairs to contemplate living under a rock for the rest of my life.




- Cheers to America! Jon & Nikki

1 comment:

  1. So, giving different streets the same name balances out Houston's problem of giving different names to the same street!

    ReplyDelete