Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Chicken feet, and other grocery store anomalies.






Doesn't that look like halloween gone so wrong? You can see all their little fingernails!! Only in Asia is this ok. I saw this and was disgusted, but then realized that if these people were to visit San Antonio, they'd probably be terrified of tripas, lengua, and menudo. It's all relative, I suppose.



In other news, I did successfully accomplish my mission to locate pinto beans in this country... And at about 6 American dollars per pound, I think we'll be eating beans much less frequently (that is, until Christmas, when I pack about 10 lbs worth in my luggage).

Everything here is so expensive! It is infinitely cheaper not to eat at home. Beef? Easily $15 for a half pound. Box of cereal? About 5-6 bucks. I just paid $4 for one of those regular yellow umbrella girl canisters of salt. I saw hamburger helper at the grocery store for $7.45.

At least there's rice.

Chicken too.

They don't have sriracha here, and it would be soooooo good with their food. Someone remind me to pack some in my luggage along with all the beans.

I did find hidden valley ranch dressing today, and I breathed a small sigh of relief that I did. I dont think jon would be able to survive if he didn't think he could have ranch. After the hooters fiasco, I started having small panic attacks that we would never get to experience that creamy delicious goodness ever again.

Also strange? They sweeten their milk. It's pretty gross. The canister actually says "MADE with fresh milk" blllllleeeeeeech. I just bought three tiny milks of all the different brands, and we're fairly happy with one of them. Still tastes a little funny. They have real cheese though, so that's good.

This is getting interesting. We'll see how it goes. We really aren't in Texas anymore, Toto. Tears may be imminent. I miss my kitchen. And HEB. Poor poor HEB.


- Cheers to America! Jon & Nikki

No comments:

Post a Comment