Wednesday, May 18, 2011

AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE

One of the super awesome wonderful things about being an expat is getting to travel to other places! Jon needed to attend a training for work last week in Melbourne. I wasn't going to tag along, but then I had one of those middle of the night panic attacks about being alone for a week in a place I'm still not fully comfortable in and still don't know anyone, so I bought a ticket and tagged along.

Oh, Singapore Airlines. You spoiled me in business class before, and now I'm stuck in "low class" with the rest of the peasants. Haha, I kid, but SIA still so much more awesome than airlines back home. Seriously though, once you go business class, coach is a hard pill to swallow. Seven hours of sleep-fighting, head-bobbing guy on my left, and old lady I have to climb over to pee on my right, incessantly crying, seat-kicking 5-year-old sitting behind me: heck yes, I took full advantage of the free alcohol. I put on my earphones and enjoyed some delicious red wine and censor-free movies for a while.

Monday night, after we checked in to the lovely Marriott Melbourne (ps- if anyone knows the answer to this, let me know: how come only certain people get complimentary breakfast at Marriott?) we went to a Greek place called Stalactites. Freaking best greek food eveerrrrr. Forgot my camera though. Idk if it's because we've been meatless for too long, but it was so amazing eating something besides chicken, I wanted to hug the chef. We ate there THREE TIMES during our trip. It really was that good.

Jon was in training all day during the week, so on Tuesday I got an early start and headed down to Queen Victoria Market. This was my HEAVEN. It's like farmers market paradise.







After that, I strolled over to something or other garden, then over to the Melbourne Museum. They have a pretty neat exhibit on the human body, weird stuff and all- it was very interesting, but they kind of overdid the photos of naked bodies. I think it took away from the learning. People were taking pictures of the naked people pictures. I got a little creeped out, so I left. There was a very well done exhibit on Aboriginal Art that I liked. I truly had no idea about their persecution in Australian History, and I was very moved about the stories shared.


I also went to the Botanical Gardens during the trip, but it was raining and cold, so I didn't stay as long as I would have liked.



I also took Jon to his first musical! We went to see Rock of Ages - loved it! We probably would have loved it better in America, where the jokes would have been understood by everyone in the audience and not just us, and the actors weren't trying so hard to cover up their funny little Aussie accents and just do the show, but it was still a VERY good time. I'd say Jon's first foray into musicals was a success. I can't say he's ready for Les Mis or even Wicked, but I think he could handle Grease... we'll take it slow.

All in all- Australia was a success. I'm sad I didn't get a chance to go to the zoo and see any kangaroos, but I got some shopping done, I got my burger fix, I drank way too much amazing coffee, I played in the cold weather, and I loved every minute of it. I loved Melbourne, and I definitely won't sit out the next time Jon has to go either.


- Cheers to America! Jon & Nikki


PS- I didn't know where else to share my amazing cheeseburger and the funny thing I saw at the adult beverage store:




Location:Melbourne,Australia

No comments:

Post a Comment